Natural sun protection

Post your questions about skin cancer and moles here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
purple painkiller

by purple painkiller on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:48 pm

Natural sun protection

I've read that the sunscreen we use can actually cause more harm than good due to a number of factors like the chemicals used and how they affect our bodies natural sun protection. A number of natural sunscreens made with natural oils are on the market now. I have been using a wonderful hemp based one and it got me through the summer without any burns whereas in the past I've used the conventional sunscreens and I got burnt. Also people don't know that certain foods help with sun protection. How come the public aren't informed about these natural choices, instead all the skin cancer charities back chemical filled sunscreen?

Dr Juber Hafiji

by Dr Juber Hafiji on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:54 pm

Re: Natural sun protection

Hi there,
Sunscreens come in many forms and majority in the mainstream do indeed contain various chemicals, some of which are necessary to provide the sun protection that patients needs.
As a matter of course, I personally recommend my patients to use any sunscreen that they get on with so long as it has a minimum SPF 30, and that they put it on regularly and often. If my patients choose a natural product, then I have no objection, providing the product used provides adequate protection.
Of course the best form of sun protection is avoidance, clothing and shelter and therefore minimising potential chemical exposure all together!
Hope that helps!
BW
Dr Juber Hafiji
Dr Juber Hafiji
Consultant Dermatologist & BSF spokesperson - MB ChB, FRACP, FRCP, FACMS

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... hafiji.php

2 posts