Actinic Keratosis

Sign in here to ask your questions.
3 posts
Guest Posts
Report Quote

by Guest Posts on Sat Sep 07, 2024 11:21 am

Actinic Keratosis

What home remedies or over the counter treatment can I apply to my Actinic Keritosis

thanks G
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Julie Van Onselen
Report Quote

by Julie Van Onselen on Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:53 pm

Re: Actinic Keratosis

Dear G

Actinic keratoses (AKs) are areas of sun-damaged skin found predominantly on sun-exposed parts of the body, particularly the forearms, backs of the hands, face, ears, bald scalp and the lower legs. There are no 'home remedies' but 25% improve with emollients (moisturisers) and sunscreen - SPF 50 every day. I presume you have been given a diagnosis of actinic keratosis by a health care professional (HCP). Was treatment discussed? There are a range of topical treatment creams, which are only available on prescription. Skin examination is important as a small percentage of AKs have the potential to become skin cancers, so again, please discuss with your HCP.

I suggest you return to your GP/HCP to discuss possible treatment. Please follow this link for more information and a patient information leaflet from the Primary Care Dermatology Society.
https://www.pcds.org.uk/patient-info-le ... -keratosis

I hope this is helpful.
Julie Van Onselen
Independent Dermatology Nurse
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... nselen.php

Dr Derrick Phillips
Report Quote

by Dr Derrick Phillips on Thu Sep 12, 2024 5:13 pm

Re: Actinic Keratosis

Dear G,

Actinic keratoses are a form of sun damage caused by exposure to harmful UV rays over many years. If left untreated, there is a risk of them developing into a form of skin cancer, therefore we generally tend to treat them. Your GP and dermatologist can discuss the treatment options available but there are no evidence based home remedies or over the counter treatments.

Applying high factor sunscreen (SPF50 with 5 star UVA protection) to exposed sites will prevent new areas of sun damage developing. One Australian study found that using sunscreen led to a reduction in actinic keratoses in outdoor workers. This is because in addition to damaging the skin cells, UV radiation suppresses the immune system in the skin which would otherwise detect and destroy abnormal cells. Using high factor sunscreen reactivates this 'immune surveillance' mechanism.

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards,

Dr Derrick Phillips

3 posts