Puffy face - hot red and prickly

Sign in here to ask your questions.
2 posts
Guest Posts
Report Quote

by Guest Posts on Fri Sep 06, 2024 4:44 pm

Puffy face - hot red and prickly

Hello,
I don't know what is wrong with my face, since March my whole face and my cheeks are puffy - it’s very hot red and prickly.

Initially , I was treated for a fungal rash. Now they now just say inflammatory! Treating it with the tacromilus for a dermatitis but my face is still red and sore.

What is wrong with my face and what do you suggest as a treatment?

PS. I had breast cancer last year and I am Ok now

Thanks C
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Julie Van Onselen
Report Quote

by Julie Van Onselen on Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:59 pm

Re: Puffy face - hot red and prickly

Hello

I am sorry to hear about your face being red and puffy for six months. I am sure you are finding these symptoms distressing. You need a definite diagnosis, as common inflammatory facial skin conditions include eczema, contact dermatitis or rosacea. A fungal infection is unlikely to cause persistent redness and puffiness.

Please do ask your GP for a diagnosis, and if he/she is not sure, perhaps suggest they ask the dermatology department for 'advice and guidance', which is usually available and images can be sent for an expert opinion.

If you have a contact dermatitis, you will need a referral for patch testing. Tacrolimus is a good treatment for facial eczema, but you may need a short course of topical steroids to firstly settle the inflammation, then return to tacrolimus. Rosacea is generally treated with first-line: Soolantra ® (ivermectin 10 mg/g) cream OD for three months; and sun avoidance, use a 50SPF and a hat.

You do need a definite diagnosis, and the appropriate treatment, I think you need to return to your GP.

I hope this helps.
Julie Van Onselen
Independent Dermatology Nurse
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... nselen.php

2 posts