Itching and health psychology

talkhealth is teaming up with a team of experts from the British Skin Foundation to answer your questions on psychodermatology. The clinic is open from 26th to the 29th February.
2 posts
Lara J C
Report Quote

by Lara J C on Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:42 pm

Itching and health psychology

Hi. I think my skin itching feels a bit worse when I pay attention to it. My itching is at least partly related to food intolerances / gut issues (bacteria dysbiosis / leaky gut /ibs). I don't have any rash. Drinking lots of water helps, and using skin emoilliant.

What guidance do you have for managing the gut brain link? E.g. managing stress and physical symptoms linked to health anxiety/ocd? I get overwhelmed with my gut treatment being very challenging to obtain and conflicting opinions about it, and long term difficulties. I generally over think and over check everything and want to feel in control! I'm trying to be mindful as much as possible / be present, which is helping, but challenging!

Thanks

professor andrew r thompson
Report Quote

by professor andrew r thompson on Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:37 pm

Re: Itching and health psychology

Itch can be really upsetting and some of my research indicates that worrying associated with it can be implicated in experiencing further distress and possibly further trigger scratching behaviour. There are a number of psychological management techniques and therapies that can help with management of itch and scratching - these include habit reversal and mindfulness based stress reduction. Some people also benefit from receipt of individual or group sessions focussed on the use of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) or/and mindfulness based CBT. I've included some links in other posts in this clinic to NHS talking therapies and these can be used to explore self-referral - and it is always useful to book an appointment with your GP. Using psychological techniques and benefitting from therapy often involves some sense of challenge but it can ultimately really pay off in delivering results. Kind regards, Andrew (Prof Thompson)
Dr Andrew Thompson
Registered Clinical and Registered Health Psychologist - DClinPsy., C.Psychol., AFBPsS., DipCAT., FHEA., BA(Hons)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ompson.php

2 posts